View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011, 03:29 PM   #4
MLeake

I generally agree with mikejonestkd, but the problem is there really is no one-size-fits-all answer, and nothing he (or I, or anybody) tells you about it will be any use unless and until you've practiced, with training partners, a whole lot of times.

As a general rule, to the outside is better. Whether to move forward, back, or to the side depends on a lot of variables. Is there more than one person? Do you know what the terrain and obstacles behind you are? What is behind the attacker?

Is the outside always better? Maybe not. It may not be an option, due to obstacles or other bad guys. Also, it depends a lot on the attacker's feet and hips. If he's right handed, but left foot forward, it will generally be easier for him to turn to the right (outside) than the left.

Also, as a general rule, we generate the most power in the area in front of the box formed by hips and shoulders. Striking, stabbing, or slashing, we really want to bring our center to bear on our target - so generally, that's where you do NOT want to be with respect to an attacker. You want your center aimed at him, but you do not want his center aimed at yours.

I'd recommend you find a reputable dojo, dojang, etc in your area and find out first-hand how most people move when using fists, sticks, or knives. You really need to train to muscle memory and reflex, because if you have to take time to think about it, you'll be struck, stabbed, slashed, or shot.

Page generated in 0.02298 seconds with 8 queries