View Single Post
Old July 2, 2010, 07:56 AM   #57
Deputy Dog

Basic firearms skills will most likely help you in a SHTF moment as long as you saw the attack coming in advance and have the time to react. When I hear comments like, "I dont need an Instructor to tell me I'm missing the target" or something to that effect, it makes me cringe. Good Instructors dont just tell you that you missed, try again! A good instructor will guide you & and help give reasons why you are missing and the corrective actions to take. If you havent taken a basic safety class that involves proper grip, stance, sight alignment & sight picture, trigger finger placement and trigger press, breath control and you think that you dont need any instruction because your father's brother's cousin's former roommate taught you how to shoot, then why are you even reading the Training and Tactics section of the forum?

In the cases where the Law Abiding Citizens made it out of the confrontation alive and sometimes un-scaled, without any training was, how can I put it? Lucky comes to mind. I have seen students when shooting at a stationary target, with all the time in the world, have great shot placement. Some of the great shot placement is due to natural marksmanship, or good family or friend's guidence and or amatuer instruction. But like someone posted earlier, paper doesnt shoot back, and a static target is alot easier to hit than a moving one. Now add in having to draw your weapon from the concealed garment, establish the proper grip and present gun to threat safely without muzzle flashing or inadvertanly shooting themselves, get a front sight/muzzle on target and press the trigger in a matter of 3 seconds or less. Have seen some of those same people bring the gun up and present it to the target the way they were shown, and not hit the sid of the barn because the gun was crooked in their hand.

Most of the deadly force encounters are B&E style break-ins. What happens if you hear a knock at the door, when you go to answer it, it comes flying open at you and you are rushed by an unknown number of "crim of the crop citzens who are all trying to straighten their lives out" some carrying weapons and some arent? Does that day of plincking at the range help you with multiple threats and possible 360 degree attack? No, it doesnt!

Can the instructor who has been taught how to engage those same threats and or has been in that situation or simular scenrio give you the mind set or teach you how to prepare or how to respond for that situation? Absolutely!
A good instructor teaching Personal Protection or Law Enforcement Officers will make sure the student knows the basics and will refresh on them for a few minutes to make sure everyone is on the same page. Knowing the basics will definately help with some of the shooting. Since alot of Deadly Force Scenarios occur at such short range you will most likely have to resort to one handed shooting. If you do not practice one handed shooting and or support hand shooting, I highly recomend you start now especially if you plan on attending a Personal Protection course.

DD

Page generated in 0.02653 seconds with 8 queries