View Single Post
Old September 9, 1999, 11:54 AM   #15
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Ok I consider myself chastized.

But on hunting elk in Colorado....

But ThE BEST equipment you will buy for your elk hunt in colorado are as follows:

A sleeping bag rated to -10 degrees
(spare NO expense on this, north face, kelty and camp trails make excellent bags, as well as cabela's)

A GOOD pair of boots. I hunt in 3rd season and usually wear Sorel Pac Boots. Again SPARE NO EXPENSE. You won't be doing any hunting with sore cold wet feet.

A good Topo map and compass of your area. maps unlimited has all kinds of maps (on 8th and Lincoln). A good silva compass will cost you $20.

Read the Book THE ELK HUNTER ($11.96 at amazon .com) has a lot of good basic information and tips.

And lastly.. since you already live here... visit the zoo and GO LOOK at a LIVE ELK.. sounds silly but it will give you an idea of how big they are, their coloration and size and how big the "kill zone" is quartering head-on, away, or broadside.

BE BE BE Prepared. No matter what season you hunt in you may hunt in shirt sleeves or a wool parka. In early november I've hunted in 70 degrees and had in cold enough to freeze the firing pin my dad's remmington 760 pump gun.

Your rifle, while important, is not as important as the hunter who wields it. Get in shape. Walk a LOT. Drink lots of water. Scout your area.CARRY DRY SOCKS.

Act like a boy scout and you will have a much better hunt.

Good Luck and have fun (and hey if ytou need any assistance poicking an area or gear let me know I've been doing this for 17 years.. and I've ALMOST gotten it figured out.)

practice practice practice...

Dr.Rob

Page generated in 0.03419 seconds with 8 queries