Thread: Shot Placement?
View Single Post
Old April 3, 2005, 09:24 AM   #27
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
According to books I have read, You should aim for the cardiovascular Triangle which is formed by Both nipples to the adam's apple. Body mass is too vague. The only time to aim for the head is if the BG is behind something and that is your only target or if he has body armor on. In that case, you want to shoot between the eyebrows down the the nose. Anything higher can hit the slope of the head and may skim off. Anything lower may pass through without hitting anything vital. If the BG is wearing body armor, it is suggested to shoot the head or the pelvis.
That is the beauty of books. You get presented with overly easily solutions sometimes. The cardiovascular triangle sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately you don't always get presented with a full frontal view of a shirtless guy so that you can determine the parameters of the CV triangle. On top of that, the CV triangle unnecessarily creates a target area missing part of the lungs and lower heart and includes places outside of the critical organs if you do hit the nipples.

I really liked the suggestions for shot placement on head shots that you shoot for between the eyebrows. It is a novel idea as well, but what makes you think you will get a shot at his eyebrows? Usually folks suggest shooting the triangle formed by the eyes and nose. A nose hit in that case will miss the brain entirely of the shot is angled downward. Even so, the idea of the eyes and nose triangle is that it represets a lot of thin bone and tissue, hence giving the slug access to the brain more easily. Shooting between the eyebrows means trying to penetrate on of the strongest parts of the skull. If a bullet will deflect from the skull, it will likely be from a hard part. You don't stand much chance of it deflecting out of an orbit. Even so, orbits and nose are hard to hit.

You said body mass is too vague of a description. Actually, it is pretty good. More appropriate is for shooting center of mass for what you have presented to you. Center of mass presented means being able to fire with the greatest amount of room for error should your shot not be precise. Many folks confuse center of mass with center of chest. Center of chest will land shots in the heart/lung area. Center of mass drops that point to the lowest portion of the sternum or just below.

Quote:
Thats exactly what he had mentioned! The femoral neck (I think).
It would be great to be able to hit the femoral neck if you had to make a pelvis shot. The first problem is that the femoral neck isn't part of the pelvis. So the 'pelvic shot' is a misnomer. Next, I would bet dollars to donuts that very few people are able to accurately be able to tell precisely where the femoral necks are on a person, especially one wearing clothes, and where they would have to shoot in order for the round to hit the neck. In other words, they are going to have to adjust their aim point to compensate for the angle of the shot so that the shot travels down into the neck. Heck, I would bet that most folks don't even know where the greater trochanter is located relative to the ilium or which bone is actually part of the femur and which is part of the pelvis. They surely won't be able to tell if the shootee is wearing clothing.

In short, trying to hit the femoral neck is going to be very tough since few people will actually know where it is actually located or how to spot that location on a clothed person.

Page generated in 0.02602 seconds with 8 queries