View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Theohazard

Quote:
Brian Pfleuger posted
You're right, in the sense that Maxim named his device "silencer" but in the modern world both terms are equally correct.

Just about the ONLY incorrect statement would be that it's NOT a "suppressor" or NOT a "silencer".
This! This times 100!

OP, those guys at the LGS were completely wrong, but so are you when you say, "It's not a suppressor". It's both. There is more than one correct term. Heck, I say "can" more than anything else. Are you going to correct me and say, "It's not a can"?

Yes, Maxim called it a "silencer". And yes, the BATFE calls it a "silencer". (By the way, don't the guys at that LGS you went to see the word "silencer" on the Form 4s they fill out?) But many people started using the term "sound suppressor" because anyone who has ever shot one knows it doesn't actually silence the weapon.

I work at one of the largest suppressor dealers in my region of the country. Almost all employees own at least one silencer and many of us own more than one. We all use the terms "suppressor", "can", and "silencer" interchangeably because all those words describe the same thing.

Quote:
machineguntony posted
Anyways, my girlfriend likes the term 'silencer', and she's hot, so she gets the final vote.
Ha, I love it! That's as good a reason as any to pick one term over another!

Page generated in 0.03339 seconds with 8 queries