View Single Post
Old May 10, 2006, 01:18 AM   #12
Hook686

I use a Lee Hand Loader and Speed Die ...

... I find it adequate, though a little slow, but then is that not the nature of a single stage press ? I reload .357 magnum, .38 spl, .44 magnum, .44 spl and 6mm Remington (still using the Lyman 310 Tool). I use to reload 9mm Lugar, but as cheap a that has become I currently save the effort. I store all my reloading tools in a single plastic file container.

I find the Lee hand press convient, and a step up in ease of use from the Lyman 310 Tool, which I still use for 6mm Remington, and at the range. For a long time, the 310 Tool was used as my sole reloading tool, due to space considerations. The Lyman 310 Tool is about as small as they come, so that smaller than standard dies are used. A nice small set for travel though.

The Lee Hand Reloader is considerably larger, and does full case resizing, as opposed to the Lyman 310 Tool, which only does neck resizing. The lee uses standard dies, which means if you ever decide to upgrade, the dies will work.

I use a Lee speed die in both .357 magnum/.38 spl and .44 magnum/.44 spl. Is it faster ? I don't think so. Is it slower ? I don't think so.

Day 1: I clean a batch of cases and let dry a couple of days.

Day 2: I install the die body, screw in the resizer, resize the batch, unscrew the resizer and insert the deprimer, then deprime the batch, I reprime the batch using my old Lyman 310 Tool ... this takes about an hour for a batch of 150 cases ...

Day 3: I use the Lee powder dipper to charge a case, then use the Lee Hand Loader to seat the bullet. I get the 150 rounds completed in about 45 minutes. I'm cleaned up and done in and hour. It takes longer if I weigh each charge, but I'm not a critical bullseye shooter, so I'm content most of the time to use the dippers.

To answer your other questions:

I think the Lee Hand Loader has good leverage, and I find that a great deal of effort is not required.

I find the Carbide Speed Die easy enough to use with the Hand Tool, no great speed improvement over the three die set, but then no great negative side either .... a wash as far as I'm concerned (and I do have the .44 magnum/.44 spl three piece die set).

I use a tumbler (cheap on sale rock tumbler from Harbor Freight). I put about three handfull of cases in the tub, with some cut up green nylon scrub pads and a couple tablespoons of low suds laundry detergent. I tumble an hour, if in a hurry, or 4 hours if I want the cases to really shine. Is it neededed ? Not really (since I shoot revolvers I.m not chasing brass, nor do I scrounge range brass), but it is nice to have.

I figure my reloading a 150 rounds in a couple hours of my time results in maybe a 50% saving on the cost of ammunition, and I shoot maybe 600 - 1200 rounds a month.

The Lee Hand Loader works, as do the Speed Dies (though I highly recommend the Cabide set)

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Page generated in 0.03292 seconds with 8 queries