View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
'88Scrat

Go with a .44 Mag for now

You cannot shoot .44 Special in a Desert Eagle of any kind. Also use only jacketed or SJSP ammunition, lead fouling can occur if you use exposed lead bullets.

As for the caliber, its up to you but my $0.02 is go with a .44 Mag for now. If you get a .44 or .50AE you can get the other caliber different barrel and have both calibers (the .50AE cartridge uses a rebated rim) without having to chage the bolt. I have a Mark XIX that is officially a .44 Mag but I also have a .50AE barrel for it. Swapping calibers is as simple as swapping barrels.

As far as the recoil, the recoil springs in a Desert Eagle are massive, if you end up with a .44 Mag, use +p+ .44 loads and avoid limp wristing to avoid cycling problems. I find that my Desert Eagle likes commercial MagTech .44 Mag ammo (though MagTech runs a little on the dirty side). I have never ever had a problem with mine cycling any make of .50AE load. Also I think your concerns about recoil on a .50AE model are misplaced. Don't forget those springs I was talking about, they soak up a lot of that power and while I wouldn't recommend shooting 100 rounds of .50AE at a time, it seems to me comparable to a .44 revolver.

Also a word about accuracy, a lot of people I meet proclaim Desert Eagles to be oversized paper wights, but most of these people have never shot one. My Desert Eagle is far and away the most accurate handgun I own (1/2 MOA @25yards from a sandbag) and I even won a small little tournament here in town with it. The guy I beat in the final round was using some sort of sporty looking Kimber 1911.

You can't really go wrong, in fact I am actually looking to get me a second Desert Eagle in .357 Mag. I like the Black Chrome finish.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02435 seconds with 8 queries