View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012, 06:51 PM   #18
Hansam

The eating was good although with the overabundance of rabbits in my area this year all of them that I've shot out of my garden were quite skinny and small. I was joking with my wife that I should let them eat the veggies so they get good and fat before I shoot them.

The bullet entered with just a little .22 cal hole. When I gutted it I was shocked - at the lack of damage internally. It put a hole through left part of the heart and tore through some intestines on its way through the body cavity but aside from that there wasn't much damage at all. The bullet was not recovered since it exited the rear of the rabbit and buried itself into the garden. I wasn't about to go digging around the garden to find a 29 grain lead bullet.

I don't believe that if the bullet had struck ANY bones at all it would have penetrated all the way through the rabbit. This was one heck of a lucky shot - that's all it was considering I was aiming for a head shot. I think if I had struck the chest bone of the rabbit it would still have died but I would have had to have my dog track it - as in it would have ran a good distance before dieing. In fact I've shot a rabbit in the vitals from the side with a .22lr HP and had it run a good 30+ yards before falling to a convulsive death. That rabbit had its lungs hanging out the exit wound on the side of its chest.

Page generated in 0.02910 seconds with 8 queries