View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
AdamSean

Best, cheap .22LR hunting ammo thread

I recently bought a new .22LR everyday beater gun and just finished sighting it in the other day. Today I saw a squirrel in the back yard running off the birds from the bird feeder and decided to get some early practice and sniped him out from the window. He kept hiding his head behind some brush so I decided to take the body shot. I only had Winchester 36 gr plated hollow point in the magazine so I just used that instead of reloading with some stingers. Stingers would have been a little much at only 35 yards anyway.

I expected him to twitch and roll around a bit when shot, but he didn't even move. Dropped right he was. I fact his from legs were spread out in front of him. The Winchester cheap ammo must have some serious expansion going on there to cause that kind of energy to drop the squirrel like that. The only other times I have been able to drop a squirrel clean was with a .17 HMR. So it seems the Winchester 36 gr plated hollow point in the 333 round box is a decent choice for hunting while remaining super cheap.

Has anyone else found the same kind of results with the cheap stuff? What kind of ammo was it? I would be interested in checking some out for myself.

Page generated in 0.03147 seconds with 8 queries