View Single Post
Old September 24, 2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Enough gun...

Z400ACDC--Glad you want to get out hunting in spite of limitations! That's great!

As to weapons: I'm sure you will get posters saying they have killed deer with various .22 cal weapons, the .22-250 among them. However, this requires expert shooting and superb shot placement (or a lot of dumb luck) to avoid a nastily wounded but still highly mobile deer that has to be tracked a long way, with less and less probability of recovery every inch of the way, and if the deer escapes it will die a lingering death.

Not something I personally would wish on any animal, let alone want to inflict.

The .243 Win is regarded by most commentators as the minimum cartridge for consistent, humane killing of deer-sized game. And even with this cartridge, good shooting, knowledge of anatomy, and careful shot placement are essential. This cartridge is also noted for its mild recoil.

So I can do no better than to echo something that has been said before: "Use enough gun!" Which to me means, for deer, a .243 Win at the minimum. We all have to respect our own limitations, but we also owe respect to the game we pursue.

--Smokey Joe

Page generated in 0.03030 seconds with 8 queries