View Single Post
Old October 1, 2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Garand Illusion

A scenario ... because EVERYONE LOVES a scenario ...

I've never posted a scenario before and sometimes find them kind of annoying, but something happened about a week ago that really made me think. So ... here it is:

You pull up to the front of the 7-11 at night with your wife and your toddler in her car seat behind you. It's getting dark, and you can see in the glass windows very well.

Your wife just wants to go in and by some milk, so you stay behind. You are, of course, packing -- but not expecting anything to happen. Your wife is not packing because she never does and doesn't believe in it no matter how often you talk to her about it and try to get her into a class (do I sound bitter?).

As you watch your wife pay for her order behind the plate glass window, another car squeals to a stop and a scummy looking guy jumps out, runs in the store, produces a gun and starts threatening everyone (though you can't hear what is being said). Your wife is backing off, but he appears to be particularly aggressive toward her and pointing the gun in her direction and screaming something, though you can't hear what it is. Your wife is terrified (and probably regretting not having taken your advice and getting a CCL).

You're about to rush in and defend your wife, but you realize that sitting in the driver's seat of the getaway car is an accomplice and there's no way you're going to leave the toddler alone out there.

So ... you have a 2nd BG in a car watching everything who may or may not be armed and a toddler in the back of your car who can't look out for herself. What do you do?

Later on I'll post what really happened, which was anything but exciting, but put me in a similar situation of not being able to potentially protect my wife because of the little girl.

My solution (and it's not perfect, I just can't think of anything better, hopefully someone will give me something to think about):

Throw the car in reverse and drive around the side of the building out of sight of the other car. Then, lock the toddler in the car, throw the keys out of sight (like under another car, so the BG's don't grab it) and IF POSSIBLE (probably won't be) try to get an angle around the corner to see what is going on. Making sure, of course, that you have "cover" options available.

I'm not real happy with that solution, and it probably takes too long anyway.

My feeling is that the toddler is my first protection priority. She is totally dependent on me, and the wife is a grown up. I would like to protect them both, of course, but don't know how to deal with the guy in the car AND the guy inside the store. Rush in the door and I am an easy target for both.

Thoughts, my tactical mentors?

Page generated in 0.02749 seconds with 8 queries