View Single Post
Old November 25, 2012, 07:53 PM   #18
AK103K

Ive had a 77/357 for about a year now.

I posted this here last year when I got it, so to save retyping it.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ghlight=77+357

I just picked one up about a week ago. Its a handy rifle and reminds me of my 77/22, weight and feel wise. Havent shot it much yet, around 300 rounds of .38 and .357.

It doesnt like my .38 158 LSWC's I use in my pistols. At 25 yards, they dont do to bad, but at 50, they are all over the place.

I also had troubles with "rim lock" in the mag with the .38's. Locks it up tight. Doesnt do it all the time, but enough to be annoying. Seems Ruger knows of the issue, as I found a link on Google where they were saying it could be an issue due to the 38's being shorter than the 357's and moving around in the mag under recoil, allowing the rims to get out of whack.

So far, with the .357's, Ive tried some old 125 grain JHPs that someone gave me (dont know the make), and some Speer 135 grain Gold Dots. It seems to like the 125's. I was getting 5 rounds into about an inch at 50 yards on a regular basis, and a couple of inches at 100. It didnt like the 135's. They were giving me fist sized groups at 50, and I didnt bother at 100.

I need to try some 158 JHP's and see how they do.
(ETA: It still likes the 125's the best. The 158's shot about like the 135's)

I was going to just leave it at iron sights, and did get a NECG peep for it. It lasted the first day, and its back in the bag (if anyones interested in one, let me know ). Nice, well made sight, but a little fiddly to adjust. My problem with it is, in the position I want to put it (the rear most ring mount), it blocks the bolt from opening. At the second mounting point, its a little farther away than I like. I ended up putting a Leupold fixed 4x on it, and its working OK. (ETA: I took the scope off and have been using the stock iron sights. I just like the way it handles better without the scope. I still have the NECG peep too, and its going up on EBay soon as I can get around to it..... hint, hint .)

One thing I was surprised at was the trigger. Every other Ruger rifle, or handgun for that matter, has had a crappy trigger. This one is actually pretty nice, and Im not going to mess with it.

The bolt is a little stiff, and it could be a little longer with a bigger knob. Its not real user friendly when you try to work it quick.

The stock is nice, but I hate recoil pads, and like most rifles these days, it came with one. It makes the gun a tad long, and it tends to snag when you shoulder it. Of course, they dont seem to offer a butt plate for it, so if I keep it, Ill have to fit one. (ETA: I did replace the recoil pad with a butt plate, and do like it better. LOP is perfect now.)

I mainly got this because I was bored and wanted something different. At this point, I have a feeling its going to be back in the shop before to long, unless something really grows on me. (ETA: I still have it, but Im still basically on the fence with it. At this point, if I thought Id get close to what I paid for it, Id probably let it go.)

Page generated in 0.03322 seconds with 8 queries