View Single Post
Old September 23, 2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Internetlad

@kraigwy I'm currently located in the central northern Wyoming, to be specific, Powell WY. A stone's throw away (20 min) from Cody, WY. It's also close to Lovell, WY where Code Red Tactical is HQ'd, that's where I was thinking of taking my basic pistol safety and handling/concealed carry course once I had the necessary equipment.

It' 5 hours and some change away from both Spearfish and Newcastle.

@Gatofeo Thanks for the input! I'm still weighing my options. The non-adjustable sights on the model 10 is some very useful information. Althought I don't see any reason why i'd need to use anything but standard ammo, It would be a huge downside if you can't actually SEE what you're shooting at haha. I'll certainly add a .22 revolver to my list of considerations

@rightside Like I said, at this point i'm taking everything into consideration, so thanks for the input!

I think the next big step here is to actually TRY OUT some of these handguns to get a feel for what I like most. I think the Cody Shooting Complex would be the next logical step as it's close and accessible. I can't find any information, however, on if they do rentals. I think that if I could find a place that did rentals and either a worker or acquantaince who could basically shadow me and make sure i'm not doing anything stupid, or making the obvious rookie mistakes.

I took the time last night to lightly peruse the repository here and I think the best and most consice article i've read so far is the 4 rules for safe handgun handling. I probably would have made the mistake of walking around holding it in a death grip like an idiot, truth be told.

As I said, I did do some shooting as a kid, but it was very light stuff, and it was most all with rifles rather than handguns, so i'm pretty much green on what i'm looking at getting into. Don't feel like you'll insult me by telling me something that would seem basic, all input is appreciated.

A thought for the future, once I do purchase a handgun, Would it be possible/worth it to get a service manual for that model to learn how to properly disassemble, maintain and clean it?

Last edited by Internetlad; September 23, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.03470 seconds with 8 queries