View Single Post
Old March 30, 2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, and they don't come from the factory with the hard drives filled with junk."

OK, that can be looked at in one of two ways.
I've never known anyone who gave a rats behind about the pre-installed software, in fact, I've never known anyone who considered it anything more than a nuisance.

I think you're right about the Glock hater comparison. I find equally illogical arguments on both sides.

My experience in teaching people both platforms suggests that the immediate abilities are about equal but it is the "deeper" issues that allow the Mac to really shine. After all, anybody who can't learn to click an icon to launch a program is never going to learn either machine.

Fast forward a couple years for a new user of both:

The PC user will know how to install MOST software but sometimes it doesn't auto launch. Now, many times, they don't know what to do... "I don't know... it didn't come up..." Check their "Programs" menu. Almost without fail every single program they have ever installed will not only still be there but they will all be in one gigantic list. They have no idea how to make sub folders or how to install in a sub folder anyway. They install things and then don't know where it went because it's either hiding in that huge list or it's NOT in the list and now they have NO idea where it might be. In spite of the fact that windows has an "unistall" feature, they don't usually know how to use it, even if they were told once upon a time. Their desktop is positively COVERED with icons. Half of them are still the pre-installed crap. The other half are the remains of every program they have ever installed. There are so many icons that they don't even know what most of them do or how they got there. The machine will need to have "Spybot Search and Destroy" and a couple of other programs run weekly, to keep it relatively free of infections. Except that it never gets run by anyone, hence the phone calls about this or that problem. If you wireless network suddenly drops out.... oh hell, isn't it fun to tell people how to find the connections and trouble shoot...

The mac user?

Well, if that spiffy new program doesn't auto launch, lo and behold, there is the CD right there on the desktop. Creating folders, sub-folders and sub-sub-sub folders in easy and intuitive. The desktop is clean, usually. (Some people actually like all those damn little icons all over the place.) Since there is no need for 2 or 3 different anti-virus, anti-spyware programs, nobody forgets to run them. You buy a new printer, scanner, camera, wireless card, wireless router... Plug and Play. On the Mac, it just plain works. Apple has had plug and play so long they never thought to give it a name until Bill finally figured it out.

See, (and here's the key) it's not that I can't teach two people to be equally capable on both a Mac and PC. It's what I DON'T HAVE TO TEACH the mac user that gets me. Equal competence beyond the basic "click that picture for the internet" takes far more instruction on a PC than on a Mac. Not to mention that I don't get technical assistance calls from Mac people. "What happened to... I installed and now I can't find.... Every time I go on the internet this same window pops up and no matter how many times I close it, it just comes right back..."

Answer me this question:

If you were a tech support guy and you got payed $100 every time some one called you with a problem, would you want them using Macs or PCs?

For me it's easy, if I get payed to solve their problems, I want them using PCs but I DON'T get payed. It's a pain in my back-side, so I want them on a Mac. Hands down, no question.

In the end, I suspect that you will keep using and liking your PC and I'll keep using and LOVING my Macs, but I appreciate the friendly discourse.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 30, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.02799 seconds with 8 queries