View Single Post
Old September 13, 2006, 09:39 PM   #20
Lurper

Mas,
While I respect your opinion and expertise when it comes to tactics, firearms knowledge and expertise, I have to disagree. I say that with all due respect. I have spoken to you a few times back in the 80's and I have an autographed copy of your book and always enjoyed your opinions. However, when it comes to pure mechanics of shooting there is no difference between combat and competition. I have shot with all of the shooters you mentioned, taken classes from most of them (and more) and my shooting skills are of the same level. I shot the circuit for several years and was sponsored by several of the biggest names in the industry. I mention that not to beat my own drum, but to establish my bona-fides.

When it comes to tactics etc., you have forgotten more than I will ever know. But when it comes to shooting, I am comfortable and confident with what I teach and know. Having been taught to shoot Weaver by Ray Chapman, I am familiar with the (flawed) concept of trying to control the gun with strength. I'm sure you remember Ross Seyfreid? He had the strongest grip I have ever felt but even he could not control the pistol with brute force. In fact, tension in your arms and hands hinders your ability to move quickly and smoothly. My point was that regardless of what your target is, a relaxed or (as Brian Enos calls it) a neutral grip and stance is far more effective. My other point was that in many cases, the ability to put lead on the target quickly can mean the difference between winning or losing or life and death. You can shoot faster when you are relaxed.

I agree with you 100% that there is more to defensive use of a firearm than shooting. I believe I even acknowledged that in my post. That is why I stressed "within the narrow confines" of the mechanics of shooting.

Page generated in 0.03039 seconds with 8 queries