View Single Post
Old February 16, 2006, 07:44 PM   #12
OneInTheChamber

If the BG was no longer a threat, I'd clear my weapon and set it on something. I wouldn't walk away from it; but I wouldn't want responding LEO's to see me standing over a dead man waving a gun around. Their perception of you will go towards the judge's perception of you.

I would also tell them that you were ATTACKED and NEED HELP NOW when you call 911. You really have to show how scared you were when you pulled the trigger. I would make sure that you request an ambulance for him; it shows you don't want him to die.

I wouldn't completely ignore the officer's questions by responding with "I won't talk until my lawyer is here"; because to me it makes it sound like you did something wrong. I understand where it comes from, but LEOs are people too, and they could get annoyed by you dismissing their questions like that. Remember, the officers can be your best friend or your worst enemy in this case. If I was handcuffed, I'd tell them that I understand they are doing it for their safety but that I really would prefer to free once they make sure everything is safe. You don't want to appear as if you are accepting any guilt.

During interviews on the scene I would stick with easy, repeatable phrases such as:
"He tried to kill me" (after all, that should be the only reason for shooting him).
"I was in fear of my life"

Most importantly, I would NOT say any of the following:
"Is he going to be okay?"- This could be twisted in showing that you regret shooting him.
"Am I in trouble?" This could be used to show you as ignorant of the laws.
If they take your gun, "What is going to happen to my gun?" This could be twisted to show that you care more about a possesion than your life or the BG's life

And of course, don't panic and think you need to recreate a better scene before they get there by moving bodies, shell casings, or trying to make it look like a botched robbery if it wasn't one.

Just my .02

Page generated in 0.03669 seconds with 8 queries