View Single Post
Old April 4, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2
rwilson452

The 44 mag uses a roll crimp. The 45ACP uses a taper crimp. different animals. I use the Lee Factory Crimp die to crimp my 45 rounds. Yes, .452 is the proper dia. for 45ACP lead bullets. I don't use Hornaday dies. It could be your crimp.

Quote:
Question about Dies and Lead Bullets for .45ACP
I have a new 3-die set, Hornady, for .45ACP. I've tried reloading some 230gr. LRN bullets (I measured a random sample of them, all showed .452 diameter. Well, these things seem to bulge the cases to the point where they won't feed reliably (tried them in two guns)... checked my reloading manuals, noted that they specify .452 bullets in lead... that's .001 larger than the JHPs, etc.

Two questions: Is the crimp that is built into the seating die in the Hornady die set a taper crimp? I adjusted it so that the bullets don't move when I give them the "bench test," but I don't see any indication of the case mouth being "rolled in" like you get with say, a .44 Mag crimp die. The reason I ask is that I've found (via google) that some recommend running a separate taper crimp operation on .45 ACP rounds. I just need a little guidance here. The other question (and it may be a dumb one), just what is the deal with non-jacketed or plated bullets being .001 bigger than their jacketed counterparts? I've got to think that has a lot to do with why these things don't feed well.

Page generated in 0.03444 seconds with 8 queries