View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 07:51 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
The reason for these current issues is that we have become a country of takers, and not makers. We are relying on others to fight the fight for us. We are too quick to say “it won’t happen to us” or “I don’t own an AR-15, so I’m not worried about it”.
I saw this in action at a small, local gun shop a few weeks ago. It's on my normal Saturday chores route, so I was hanging out and chatting with a couple of the regulars. The two proprietors were VERY busy.

In walked a guy I had never seen before. He was wearing a sweatshirt emblazoned with the name of a nearby shooting club, so he wasn't a newbie. He started complaining about all the new anti-gun laws being proposed and he asked why the NRA isn't "doing something" about it. I pointed out that the NRA IS doing something about it, but the NRA's position is so well-known that many politicians routinely tune out the NRA. I told him what we really need is for each of us, as individual citizens, to write or e-mail or call our elected representatives and tell them we don't want more anti-gun laws.

I said, "Today is Saturday. You can write the letters tonight and drop them in the mail to go out on Monday."

His response? "Yeah, whatever," whereupon he turned his back on me and proceeded to ignore me completely. In other words, it was too much trouble for him to write a letter or even to fire up the computer and pop off an e-mail. He expects the NRA to do it all for him. And when the NRA does its best and that isn't good enough, you can bet he won't blame himself for not having written those letters. He'll blame the NRA for not having done "enough."

As the saying goes, "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

Page generated in 0.03810 seconds with 8 queries