View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
tahunua001

Are you new and looking to buy your first handgun?

Then step right up to Tahunua001's one stop shop to help you make this very big decision. As you may have already found out, there are literally hundreds of different models from dozens of different makers. In this not so brief writeup I will try my best to aid you by pointing you in the right direction. There are several questions that you must first ask yourself before you even walk into a store:
1. How much am I willing to spend?
2. What will I be using it for?
3. What kindof materials am I comfortable with?
4. How 'safe' is safe enough for me?

First we will tackle price ranges. Handguns vary greatly in price, from custom made to budget brand, some can sell for over $3,200 and others for less than $200. There is a common misconception among new gun owners that the cost of a gun is a one time expense but this is not truly the case. Once you buy the gun then you must also buy ammunition for it, as ammunition is a one time use product, you have to buy it every time you use the gun. Ammunition prices vary depending on brand and caliber. The cheapest caliber to shoot is the small, 22 long rifle(or LR for short). It is a very lightweight round that is well suited to killing vermin but can be a bit underpowered for self defense due to it's small size and relatively low velocity. Please make no mistake, 22LR can still be a lethal round, it just requires a bullet put in just the right spot. 22lR chambered guns are generally on the lower end of the price bracket and due to a low recoil, it is a very heavily recommended caliber for a practice gun.

Another very popular round is the 9mm Luger, also known as 9x19mm, 9mm NATO, or 9mm parabellum. The many names come from different velocity standards but dimensionally speaking they are all close enough to be fired from the same gun, though NATO is higher velocity than the rest and may cause damage to some more poorly made guns with extended use. 9mm is well respected because it is very well suited to self defense while still being cheap enough to practice with on a regular basis without becoming too cost prohibitive. For users that can not afford to buy 2 separate guns, I recommend 9mm as their first gun because even though it is not the BEST suited for either self defense or range practice, it is a very good medium.

Probably the most heavily used round in the US is still the 45automatic colt pistol,also known as 45ACP or 45auto for short(please do not get this confused with the 45 colt caliber as this is a completely different cartridge). This round is one of the most popular among gun owners concerned with self defense and concealed carry as it is quite powerful as far as semi auto pistol calibers are concerned and can be used to stop anything up to black bear sized targets. For anything larger I would recommend something more powerful which would have to resort to revolvers and would be relegated to a different forum altogether. The 45ACP has been falling out of favor in recent years as higher capacity 9mm handguns are released and 9mm ammo prices are much lower than 45 making it difficult for a shooter on a budget to shoot on a regular basis with a 45.

Now that we have discussed the price of feeding your gun we will address the price of the guns themselves. For the sake of science I will break them down into four separate categories. Many models found in these price ranges include but are not limited to:
1. $350 and below:Keltec PF9, Hipoint C9, Arcus 94SA and 98DA, and Ruger P95, MKIII and 22/45.
2. $350-$550: Springfield XD, Ruger SR series, Smith & Wesson M&P series, most Glock models, FN Herstal FNP, Beretta PX4 series, Armscor(owns Rock island armory and Citadel) 1911 models.
3. $550-$800: Springfield XDM, FN Herstal FNS, Ruger SR1911, Remington R1(1911), Beretta M9/92FS, Steyr M9, and CZ75.
4. $800 and up: FN Herstal five seven pistol, most Heckler and Koch models, most Sig Sauer Models, various 1911 models from multiple makers(Springfield, Colt, Wilson, Les Baer, and Kimber)

Generally speaking, first time gun owners should stick to the first two price brackets so that they can pick up the basics of firearms handling, safety and maintenance. More expensive models can come later after you have learned to properly use and care for them. I will add one cautionary note however; not all brands listed are noted for making quality guns, especially in the lowest price bracket. If you do decide to pursue these budget guns please research the particular model you are looking at thoroughly before making the decision to buy.

Now that you've looked at what you can afford lets take a look at what you intend to use it for.
Are you looking to keep it in the night stand? Entering police service? If you are looking for a duty pistol or night stand gun then a full sized/service sized pistol in 9mm or 45ACP would suit your purposes well.

Just punch holes in paper at the gun range? If all you want is to punch holes in paper then a 22lr is well suited and will be affordable

Maybe concealed carry? If you are even thinking about concealed carrying even somewhere down the line then a compact sized pistol in 9mm or 45 would be a very smart choice. Many compact pistols are identical in function to a full sized pistol only they have shorter grips and barrel/slide lengths to help make them easier to be hidden under clothing. For instance; a Springfield XDM can be had in a full sized version or a compact version, the only difference is the length of the barrel/slide and the grips. The compact can even use full sized magazines for range practice. If you are looking to concealed carry a mainstream brand is recommended like Glock, S&W, Ruger, or Springfield as it will be easier to find holsters and other accessories.

Woods defense(IE predators like cats, wolves, bears etc...)? Generally a 45ACP of any size/model will do well enough to serve this purpose however if you expect to run into anything larger and more aggressive than a black bear(IE pretty skiddish and around 400LBs) then a revolver in larger caliber is recommended.

Now we'll just skim over what materials you are comfortable with. The biggest fight in semi auto handguns is metal VS polymer(a nice word for plastic). Many gun owners do not feel comfortable with plastic framed pistols while many others do not have any issues with the design concept. The 1911 which is the most commonly replicated design in the world generally uses a steal frame while others like Glock offer all their models with a polymer frame. Metal framed guns are generally more expensive and are heavier which is the main advantage of polymer framed guns.

If you are not comfortable with plastic then the Browning Hipower, virtually all 1911s, CZ75, Beretta M9/92FS, many Sig Sauer models, Ruger MKIII and Arcus models are all metal framed handguns.

Finally comes 'how safe is safe enough'? Some guns have safety features out the wazzoo while others half virtually none. For instance: the Glock has nothing but a trigger safety, it is disengaged by just about anything that may accidentally find itself inside the trigger guard, on the other hand models like the Ruger SR series use a trigger safety, a manual safety switch(ON/off), and a magazine disconnect(wont fire without a magazine in the gun). the Springfield XD/XDM/XD-S all use a trigger safety and a grip safety(wont fire unless the gun is gripped properly) both of those are passive safety devices that are all unconsciously disengaged by the intentional functions of attempting to shoot the gun while making it difficult to inadvertently fire it as opposed to the manual safety switch that is an active safety because it requires you to consciously disengage it to fire. whatever makes you feel safest is the best place to start.

1911s and XDs use a passive grip safety.
1911s, M&Ps, FNP/FNS, SR series, Beretta PX4 and M9s, Browning hi powers, CZ75, and arcus 94/98 all have active safety selector switches.
Glocks, SR series, and XD/XDM/XD-s all use passive trigger safeties.

Some models like the Sig Sauer Pseries have no true safety. Instead they have a decocker that makes the trigger pull heavy enough that it diminishes the chance of a negligent discharge but they are still capable of going off.

If there is anything that I left out(which I'm sure I have) please feel free to add, make comments or if you have more questions please feel free to voice them. Maybe someday we can get this made into a sticky and can be right at the top of the page for all to see who need help.

Last edited by tahunua001; February 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Additional information added

Page generated in 0.03679 seconds with 8 queries