View Single Post
Old August 16, 2009, 10:47 PM   #129
MemphisJim

Pardon me for laughing but I had the same thing happen tonight with my 290 (identical rifle just a fancier stock). I've had mine since 1968 (a "welcome home" gift from Dad on return from Vietnam) but hadn't shot it in years. I put a few hundred rounds through it this afternoon and got it dialed in just as I want it. As I was disassembling for cleaning this evening, the spring came flying out and I heard something hit the far wall. Fortunately I still have my manual, consulted it and immediately launched the search for the plastic return spring guide. Reassembly requires small fingers with long nails so I settled for a paperclip to feed the spring into its assigned hole and to keep it condensed to the point I could feed the guide rod into it and get the bolt back in place. The paper clip also helped position the guide into its assigned place on the bolt. Whole operation couldn't have taken me more than 90 minutes but only the last 10 count because that's when I recruited the paperclip. Fortunately I have lots of experience with long snaky springs thanks to three Remington 597s. And I have learned lots of patience, thanks to frequent take-down and reassembly of a Ruger MkII. Hope you cracked the code.

Page generated in 0.03073 seconds with 8 queries