View Single Post
Old July 10, 2011, 08:40 AM   #13
RaySendero

Quote:
BIG P asked:

How many different calibers and rifles have you used to take whitetail deer with.I know alot of guys are set on one action,one caliber what about you ?
BIG P,

I'm not sure what you are trying to "get-at" - Action, Caliber, Cartridge, 1 rifle, etc.

I'll start with all of'em lumped together: I have a pair of bolt action 270s that neither has required more than one shot for a dead deer and never lost one after pulling the trigger. This would be my recommendation for THE standard all-around deer rifle.

A bolt action 270 Winchester with a scope!

I've killed deer with calibers from 270 to 9.3 and a bunch in between. The difference isn't so much caliber but the rifle. I have other some purposely built rifles for different hunt situations. If, for example, the hunt will be stalking, close-in and the deer possibly running - I pick an easy carry, quick pointing level action or a semi-auto (or maybe a straight pull bolt).

There are other times I won't pick the best fit for the deer rifle figuring something else will probably show up on a particular hunt! I really like shoot'N hogs with the 9.3 and coyotes with a SKS.

Page generated in 0.02735 seconds with 8 queries