View Single Post
Old October 16, 2008, 03:45 PM   #30
tube_ee

SDC...

I find that unless the bird is sharply focused, with the bead a blur, I miss. I linked that with something I heard in hunter's safety, lo, these many years ago, that the target is the front sight. I'd never understood that, until I started handgunning, and learned about focusing on the front sight. So I put 2 and 2 together, and got what seemed to me to be four.

If I don't concentrate on the bird, I shoot behind it.

I don't practice shotgunning on stationary targets, but I would be leery of trying to learn two different ways to shoot the same gun. It seems to me that my hands would be telling me "this is your shotgun", and if I had to think "OK, this is a stationary target, so shoot this other way," I'd probably brainlock, and screw it up.

Shotgunning for me is a much more "instinctive" (a misnomer, humans don't have instincts) process. Shooting a handgun or a rifle is a deliberative, thoguht-out thing. When I think about shooting the shotgun, I miss.

I suppose, if one's only use for shotgun was defensive, you might want to learn a more "rifle-like" style. But, to me, shooting a shotgun at a moving target is one of the most fun things you can do with a gun. Nobody I know who's tried it, even if they had no interest in bird hunting, has disagreed with me. So that's how I learned the gun, and that's how I shoot it.

The fact that I'm VERY cross-dominant (strongly dominant left eye, and nearly useless left-handed) may have something to do with all this, as I shoot one-eyed, and so can only focus on one thing. For me, that has to be the bird. When I'm "on", I don't even really see the gun.

--Shannon

Page generated in 0.03617 seconds with 8 queries