View Single Post
Old June 23, 2009, 07:29 AM   #13
TailGator

I own a small business myself, and I have a written policy that is part of every employee's orientation that if anyone finds, on arriving for work, any signs of a burglary, that they are to call 911, stay clear of the building, and keep any early-arriving clients clear. We assume that a burglar is present and armed until proven otherwise by sheriff's deputies. They, I would assume, would work in a team, using professional training that I don't have, wearing body armor and probably using long arms that I don't carry around, clear the building and tell us when it is safe to enter.

The situation for this business owner was different, in that he saw the burglar through the glass, and, according to him, the burglar pointed something at him to mimic a weapon. That is a tough situation, but it could have been prevented if he had kept a little more distance while awaiting the arrival of LE.

Think through the possibilities: If the burglar is still there and I show up before the police, I am facing the possibility of a confrontation with injury or death. If the burglar has gone and I go in before the police, I am messing up the crime scene and hindering the investigation. There is just nothing to be gained by going in ahead of LE unless you so value your inventory that you are willing to kill or be killed in trying to protect it.

I am not saying that the burglar is the good guy. I am saying that your brain may be more valuable than your gun in such situations.

Part of that employee training I mentioned in the first paragraph is that I tell employees that I can replace anything that a burglar steals or wrecks, but that they are unique, and loved by someone, and therefore irreplaceable. We would be reading a vastly different story if the burglar in this scenario had really been armed and had fired before the business owner could react. I don't see why a business owner would put himself or herself in that position.

Page generated in 0.03565 seconds with 8 queries