View Single Post
Old May 4, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
David Bachelder

For a magnum cartridge I like to use a magnum primer. In these times, when supplies are limited I guess I'd use whatever I could get.

When supplies come back to the shelf I suggest you use, magnum primers and either Winchester 296 or Alliant 2400 for .357 Mag. From my experience the two powders are almost equal. If I remember right Hodgdon 110 and Winchester 296 are the exact same powder. You might research that a bit and make sure I'm right, according to my burn rate chart they have the exact same burn rate.

This combo below has given me the best performance. When I pull the trigger on my .357 I expect a loud bang, good recoil and that magnum feel. Anything else just doesn't work for me.

You might try this:

150 grain SWC, Cast
Magnum primer
14 grains Alliant 2400
1466 fps +/-

This is a published load out of the Lyman Pistol and Revolver book, third edition.

I'm sure I exceed the speed of a cast lead bullet although I have never tested the round with my chrono. However I never see any leading and the round is very accurate. I use it in my Henry BigBoy and my Ruger Blackhawk. It is a real performer.

Page generated in 0.02559 seconds with 8 queries