View Single Post
Old December 8, 2011, 05:02 PM   #16
MTT TL

Quote:
that didn't even have anything to do with guns is enough to get on a high horse and suggest that their country has nothing to learn but everything to teach.
LOL, I forget that Americans come off differently in the rest of the world than they often do to each other.

Quote:
All these seem to be your definition of freedom.
Self defense (the right to life) is considered an inalienable right as spelled out in our Constitution. Surely you are not arguing that people can deny you your life at will? I am not sure how the rest of the world views it. Poorly I guess.
Quote:
Has everyone else on this thread been to the UK, or better still lived there? If not, well...
I have been to the UK and Ireland many times (although I only stayed in Ireland a total of three days.... Ireland I know... but they are so close and speak a similar language.). All these were visits, I never lived there. My last boss was actually a British immigrant. I understand there is rabid media there just as in the states that goes to efforts to make the police look foolish.

Quote:
Perhaps we respectively need self defense more than the UK do...
On this I would agree to a point. We have a very different society in the US that is much less homogenous and more abrasive. If you read the NYPD shooting report in the Tactics thread you will get a good idea as to why many of the shootings occur. Based upon the comments made by the attackers I am guessing there is a similar problem in some places in the UK.

For a long time the UK had the "duty to retreat" issue. However there is still no final answer on spelling out defense laws despite multiple attempts. What is certain is that based upon the historical examples if you use force to defend yourself you will be in a world of trouble.

In your knife wielding mugger example, a knife IS deadly force. Someone can kill you with a knife. So legally, to protect my life or others I can also respond with deadly force. I don't have to go find a knife to fight back with.

Page generated in 0.02097 seconds with 8 queries