View Single Post
Old November 3, 1998, 04:47 PM   #11
Don R

I think we need to separate Law Enforcement and Civilian, i.e., concealed vs. not concealed.

Although LEO's have the ever-present spectre (no, not you Spectre!) of IA, etc., looming over them and second-guessing them, if an off-duty LEO brandishes because he THINKS, something is wrong, he will not get blasted. A Civilian CCW holder will lose the permit and possibly be charged as well.

I'm not talking about the Magical Distance of 21 Feet necessarily nor am I concentrating on the "Tueller Drill" that made 21 the Magic Number. Although that Drill is a good drill to give you ideas and practice, let me give you a clue as to what I'm talking about.

Many others in cyber-territory far away, have made statements about Cooper's Color Codes and whatnot, again, it has its place. I live in a real world with real problems, I get distracted, I'm not a robot. The normal flat tires, bills getting paid and sick child applies. Things happen and I'm not for one minute going to put my faith in living in a certain color like it is a religion. I believe it is an idea to be given thought and it is to be applied whenever possible, but it is not something that can honestly be accomplished all the time. That is my opinion and I could be wrong, but as for me, I'm on the money of course...

I've heard others talking about awareness, to the point they cross streets or go the long way around to the point of absurdity, to avoid a 30-foot stretch of darkness, I live in a real world where there are dark areas (darkness can be your friend as well as foe), corners, tight spots and stairwells. All of these things get lost in discussions because people pull out the magical words, "Be aware." That is fine, but don't think you're going to live under the glow of a streetlight all the time.

The only assault cue you are likely to get on the street is the abrupt "chirp" of a dirtbag's tennsi shoes before he is on you. It will not be the loud beep or buzz of something like a Timer. The assault cues could be a Thread all by itself....

A couple years ago, A Baltimore City Police Officer was responding to a call and while going up stairs, was pounced on by a criminal with an icepick. I do not remember the outcome, but I do know the Officer went to Shock Trauma. The guy was on him so fast he could not draw, the guy stabbed him several times in the left shoulder and left side of the neck, he stabbed him once so hard it went clear through the Motorola Speaker/Mic on his shoulder. This is what I speak of.

Page generated in 0.03564 seconds with 8 queries