View Single Post
Old February 18, 1999, 03:59 AM   #8
Walt Welch

Thaddeus; brasshopper; do not think that you get off that easily. Your first love was guns, remember? All of us expect and demand that you take your swings with the rest of us.

The height of learning is to be able to teach. You never understand a subject as well as when you try to explain it to others.

Keep posting, keep swinging, keep offering opinions. THAT is how you learn the best. You learn the most from your mistakes, and remember, you and I (when I was a student) may have been mildly and transiently embarrassed by an error.

When I was an ER MD, and made a serious error, someone died. Over 20 years, I had a damn good average. Because I had the benefit of experience. And, I was not afraid to put my judgement up against anyone else's (although I certainly listened to everyone).

As Simon Bolivar said, 'Good judgement is the result of experience; and experience is the result of poor judgement.'

So, it is OK to be embarrassed and feel discomfort by making mistakes. DON'T let this turn you away from continuing to try, to reach, to expand your knowledge, to dare to learn.

Instead, embrace the pain, say to yourself, 'I will never make THAT mistake again', then move on. You will be miles ahead of the rest, as most people never learn that simple lesson: learning hurts. Change hurts. Life hurts.

For a while. Then, eventually, it gets absolutely wonderful. Try it. Walt

Page generated in 0.02610 seconds with 8 queries