View Single Post
Old January 16, 2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Mike / Tx

Many years ago when I was just learning how to throw powder into the scale I tried my best to settle the needle right on the line, my pop would say "thats close enough pour it". We were only loading 30-06 rounds at the time. As the years rolled on I found that depending on the case capacity there is a smidge of wiggle room in most any load but as mentioned the case capacity is the rule. With '06 sized cases it can be as much as a full grain as mentioned above, but in .223 sized csaes this might be only a few 10ths of a grain depending on the powder.

In most cases nowadays I throw all of my loads. I set the measure up to hit where I want and go for it. I haven't got any BR type rifles but have some that are VERY accurate, and haven't been able to distinguish the actual weighed charge groups over the thrown charges. When you can get groups from a load which are at or under an inch at 200yds with thrown charges that might hit just above or just under the line on the scale when weighed, IMO that's close enough.

Page generated in 0.03553 seconds with 8 queries