View Single Post
Old January 20, 2012, 03:39 PM   #7
litlewolf2

To clarify.

First off, this is a Federal issue not a state, Minnesota was just my own personal example. Minnesota and many other states would have no problem restoring my right to bear arms.

Second this "restoration of rights" is already in effect. The law is 1st you have to complete your full sentence be it incarceration, probation, fines, classes, or what have you. Then in most states and federally a certain amount of years must pass after all these have been satisfied usually ranging from 5 to 10 years.

Third according to the Gun Control Act of 1968 a person can apply to get their rights restored. If that person is "not be likely to act in a manner dangerous" they can get their gun rights restored. This was appointed to the Attorney General who delegated it to the ATF. The ATF however has prohibited expending any funds to investigate these applications.

Fourth the application process since the ATF has their policy in effect has been re-delegated to the president in which if you ask me is not appropriate use of the presidential office and the ATF should take on the responsibility they were given.

Fifth as far as my own charge goes it was a felony but was knocked down to a misdemeanor. It currently is classified as a misdemeanor but since it was a Felony initially it triggered the Gun Control Act and is still in effect despite the current status.

Sixth the petition is formatted through Change.org and the link to the petition is here.
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...t-to-bear-arms

My right to vote and help determine how this country is run has been restored, but by Second amendment right to bear arms has been taken away just doesn't seem right.

Also I'm not a "pothead" and haven't really smoked much since I was a teen. But I do have to put this question to you out there against the specific issue of potheads owning guns. How many violent pot heads do you know?

If the gun control act takes effect as it was written, it is a very thorough and makes it difficult for anyone it applied to get their rights restored.

I do believe the right to bear arms is a basic American right. But I also don't believe that just anyone should be able to own a gun. I also believe people can and do change and deserve 2nd chances.

Thanks for your support.

Page generated in 0.02323 seconds with 8 queries