View Single Post
Old October 23, 2001, 12:06 PM   #1
SAWBONES

OC carriers - Heads Up

I've carried OC (Fox 1/2 oz. unit) for a couple years, believing as I do in having a continuum of force available for response to "unpleasant (read felonious) interpersonal experiences".

Trouble is, there's no easy way to carry the stuff.
Key chain units bulge your pockets, and can accidentaly discharge in the pocket.
The cheap plastic "holsters" sold with some units are impossible to fit over a thick, properly-constructed gunbelt, and it is assumed that most folks reading this missive are CCW holders who carry a sidearm, not just OC spray alone.
I improvised a belt holster using an elastic Mini-Maglite holster, and used this for a time, but found it flimsy and not altogether secure.
I appealed to holstermaker-cum-friend Gregg Garrett for a Kydex solution, sending him a blueprint for a design I thought would work well as a combined OC holder-key holder. He did me one better by modifying the design and making it simpler. It slips onto the belt by slipping underneath, not requiring removal of the belt, and holds the OC cannister horizontally, with a keyring attached beneath, to which you may attach a lanyard or whatever you like, to hold your keys.
It's Kydex, and he will be making them soon, for about $8, he thinks (a bargain). I think it's an excellent solution for carrying OC. (It can also hold a Surefire 6Z flashlight instead of OC, if you like.)
I have ABSOLUTELY NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST IN THIS (kickbacks, royalties, etc.). I'm merely passing on information about a useful CCW item. I'll try to post a pic when I can. Anyone interested can go to www.comp-tac.com and can email Gregg from there. Tell him I sent you!

Page generated in 0.03518 seconds with 8 queries