View Single Post
Old August 31, 2008, 02:11 PM   #13
totalloser

I know this thread is ancient, but something anyone using a double disk setup must know is that most large rifles will need a charge larger than even the double disk can provide. On my setup loading .308, the max charge I could drop of win 748 with the two largest (1.57cc) was 45 grains. STARTING load is 46.2.

So here's the solution for cases that are borderline; Drill out a hole on the bottom disc to 9/16". It might be possible to do the top one, too, but it might cause problems with the wiper. With the 1.57 top and 9/16" bottom, I can drop an overcharge (can't remember what it was but think it may have been in the range of 49.2) but the next size down (1.46) drops a 47.5 grain charge. Works perfectly, and very consistent still.

Another thing to note is that using the smaller disk on top gives me more consistent charges as there is not a lip for powder to rest on in the double disk. And many folks have trouble with inconsistent charges when the universal rifle die is not properly adjusted, and the disks do not come completely over the drop hole in the powder measure.

Page generated in 0.03663 seconds with 8 queries