View Single Post
Old May 30, 2010, 03:51 AM   #10
fastbolt

Quote:
I agree entirely, but remember, as an LEO you were issued various firearms, and what was in your holster did just fine. In my case I get to pick, and staying with the exact same pistol, for quite a few years, it has become like an extension of my arm.
FWIW, I'm not disagreeing with you.

As another instructor of some small experience I've also found some handgun designs and platforms to seem more desirable in some respects than some others, and I have some preferences myself.

As far as any particular handgun feeling like an extension of my arm? Sure. However, this is my 39th year of having pursued an interest and involvement in the martial arts, and that's influenced me to feel that all of the various handguns I've owned, or have been issued, have felt like extensions of myself.

Granted, I could point to some of them as having some inherent qualities I like when it comes to weight distribution, ergonomics and qualities which otherwise lend themselves to having a 'lively' balance. I never question the preference of someone else when it comes to weapon selection, as long as they're able to demonstrate consistently good skills and performance with whatever it is they've selected. As long as their confidence in their skills with whatever they've chosen isn't a matter of false confidence, I'm more interested in their skills, knowledge and mindset.

When I get to pick I'm certainly not adverse to shading things in my favor as much as possible by choosing a handgun which offers me a little bit more in one sense or another. I just don't have a single design or platform which is the ultimate distillation of everything I prefer in a handgun in all situations and possible conditions. A good revolver or 1911 comes close, though.

Page generated in 0.03419 seconds with 8 queries