View Single Post
Old September 26, 2005, 08:13 AM   #16
Jack O'Conner

Harley:

You'd be amazed how many big mulies have fallen to that old pump action Remington .243 of ours. When that high speed .243 bullet strikes the chest, it quickly forms a mushroom and transfers significant energy to the path of destruction. In general terms, any well constructed bullet which gets inside the chest and does significant damage to the lungs and major vessels will kill quickly. The weight of the animal is insignificant. The diameter of the bullet prior to impact is also insignificant.

Mule deer are not tough at all. I've seen them topple over from a single 64 grain bullet fired from a .223 and that is a fact. This bullet is allowed in S. Dakota for deer hunting. But winds affect its flight and many areas of the West are quite windy indeed. I'd not plan to hunt mulies with this varmint cartridge.

Actually my favorite cartridge for the foothills and breaks is the 30-30 with 170 or 150 grain bullets. I also like the 35 Remington. Out to about 150 yards or so, they do the job for me.

I share your admiration of the 6.5mm Swede. My wife hunts with a custom BLR in this caliber. She hunts mulies, 'lopes, and elk with it. Nosler Partitions and Trophy Bonded are great with this cartridge.

In USA, our corner of the world is filled with great deer hunting combinations of equipment and good cartridges.

Good hunting to you.
Jack

Page generated in 0.02165 seconds with 8 queries