View Single Post
Old February 24, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
FALPhil

Quote:
Ideally something 15x or above would be best for long range, however its generally agreed that 10x will do for torso targets out to a 1000 yards. So the SS 3-9 was less than ideal and I'd pretty much decided on the Vortex 2.5-10. $600 puts a hole in a budget project, but what are you gonna do? $600 beats $1000+ so... Then I ran across the Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Tactical that Midway has an exclusive on. After reading about it on the various sniper forums and watching this video, I ordered one and couldn't be happier.
You probably did yourself a huge favor. I don't know to whom you have been talking, but the vast majority of tactical shooters cannot handle a 15+ magnification. Bench shooters? yeah, but bench shooting is a far cry from tactical situations.

I have a self-imposed limit of around 12x for working guns. I arrived at that because in summer clothing, I can see my heartbeat in the sight picture at 12x when working at long range. I have varmint rifles with more magnification, but with them, I can set up rock solid with rests at both ends of the stock, and I don't have to have a firm cheek weld to pinch the trigger. With a bipod and a firm cheek weld, at 600+ yards, it is hard to keep the crosshairs where you want them much above 12x, at least for me.

Good job. I like your rifle. Please post pics when you get a chance to dial it in. Have you decided what ammo is going to be your baseline? Typically, in 308 Win, I try to handload to beat the Black Hills 168 grain.

Last edited by FALPhil; February 24, 2013 at 07:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.03245 seconds with 8 queries