View Single Post
Old May 4, 2007, 10:57 PM   #4
boltgun71

I dont believe the .308 Win is any more "inherently' accurate than the 30-06, but the .308 has a few more advantages going for it.
The .308 has lower recoil than the 30-06 due to a smaller case capacity with less powder. The lower recoil lends to more accurate shooting because less likely of a flinch developing and you can fire more rounds in a session with out taking the same recoil punishment as the larger 30-06. The recoil plays a large role when doing competition shooting and firing several rounds a day possibly over several days. The M1 Garand in '06 use to be popular, then was replaced by the M1A in .308, now that has been replaced by the lower recoiling AR-15 in .223. When hunting you don't(or shouldn't be) thinking about the recoil so its not aproblem in a hunting rifle IMO. If you spend alot of time plinking at the range with your hunting rifle you may be better served with a .308 since your range sessions will be more enjoyable.
With more target rifles and "tactical" rifles in use today in .308 more companies develop more match factory loads for the .308 than the 30-06. With more different match loads available to choose from it is easier to find a load that your rifle shoots well accurately over the 30-06. Yes there is several 30-06 match loads, but not near as many as a .308 ands with all the different bullet weights.
For a hunting rifle I dont think you will see a practical difference in accuracy between the two. Both are great cartridges. I have used both hunting and in competition.

Page generated in 0.03388 seconds with 8 queries