View Single Post
Old February 23, 2006, 09:43 AM   #24
shaggy

Would this be legal?

I think it would IF there was no clutch on it, so turning the bike pedal would fire the gun. If there was a clutch on it to disengage the firing system from the feeder/delinker, I think the answer might be different. On the older miniguns, there was no clutch; when you powered the motor, the motor would turn the rotor, rounds would feed in, go through the gun and the gun would fire. When you let off the trigger the gun would continue to fire off a few rounds as the barrels stopped turning. With the Dillon Aero clutch, you can seperate the feeder/delinker from the firing system, so one button powers the power to the motor, one disengages the clutch (at least thats the set-up on the minigun I have experience with). Thus to fire the weapon, you grab the grips and hit one buttom on each grip - one powers the motor, one disengages the clutch. If the operator lets off either one, the gun will stop - either because the clutch goes on and seperates the firing system from the feeder, or because power to the motor/rotor is cut.

So why is all this important (at least in my opinion)?

Because if a clutch can be engaged and disengaged, turning the pedals only turns the motor. In that instance the pedals don't fire the gun and aren't really the "trigger". The button for the clutch, I think, would be deemed to be the "trigger".

Of course all this is just speculation - to get a proper answer you'd need to ask the Tech Branch.

Page generated in 0.02124 seconds with 8 queries