View Single Post
Old November 24, 2008, 08:40 PM   #22
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey123
...Last thing I want is a responding officer to see a guy fiddling with getting a gun in his waistband...
Good reason to learn to re-holster with one hand and without looking -- and to use a holster that allows you to do it.

I was with Threefeather in Mas' LFI-1 class last month. The drill, as I recall, is basically:

[1] Holster the gun, but keep your hand on it until you see the first responding officer, at which time slowly raise your empty hands. The reason you keep your hand on the gun until the police show up is that there may be more BGs around or the BG down may decide to get up and try to finish what he started. If you're still holding the gun when the police show up and they tell you to drop it, then drop it. It'll get dinged -- too bad; but don't try to discuss or negotiate it with them. They won't be interested. Drop it on its side; it's safer that way.

[2] You don't want to just clam up. That's what the BGs do. You're a good guy. But you also don't want to start telling the whole story. You'll be shaken up. You've been under a lot of stress. It would be too easy for you to "put your foot in it." The police aren't necessarily your friend. They don't know you or what a splendid fellow you are. They would like to make an arrest, if they think they can make it stick, and they will do whatever they can, within the rules, to try to make it stick, if there may be a chance. Arrests that stick are good for their careers.

[3] So what you do say is:
  • That person attacked me.
  • I will sign a complaint.
  • Evidence is [indicate where there's evidence].
  • Witnesses are [indicate witnesses].
  • You'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours after I've talked with my lawyer. That's all that I can say now.

If you call 911, be sure to describe yourself. If someone else is making the call, ask him to describe you.

Take Mas' class. It's time and money well spent.

Page generated in 0.03422 seconds with 8 queries