View Single Post
Old April 25, 2009, 01:59 AM   #21
jgcoastie

Quote:
care to comment on suitability for using 7mmMAg (&bullet type) for bear??
Thanks.
Great for black bear, good for lower 48 brown bear, decent for Kodiak coastal brown bear... If you're going to be dealing with the recoil of a 7mm Mag, step up to a .300 or .338 Win Mag, negligible difference in recoil in most rifles...

As far as bullet type... The heaviest you can find... Velocity isn't as much of a concern, penetration is paramount though... Heavier bullet = more penetration... I'd go with Barnes 175gr TSX FB and find a loading that my rifle likes and cycles without problem... I wouldn't mind the Barnes 160gr MRX BT, except the heaviest available at this time is 160gr... The TSX FB offers a sectional density that surpasses that of a 200gr .30 cal of the same bullet type...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Page generated in 0.02057 seconds with 8 queries