Thread: Handgun Deer
View Single Post
Old November 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

Handgun Deer

There are no shortages of 357 & 44 Mag topics posted in the revolver as well as the hunting sections. There is always speculation and advice coming from those that do well with either or some don't suggest a 357 Mag for deer at all.
This is my firsthand account. Opening day I shot a good size 8-point buck at extreme close range with the 44Mag Super Red Hawk. I can say I was not overly impressed. The aftermath just was not what I was expecting. I can't be proud of myself as I watched that deer briefly suffer and fight for life. I hit it pretty well placed, through both lungs and out the other side. The entry and exits wounds were not so large as I imagined they could be with the 44. Based on my very own experience, I can't see me using a 357 Mag for deer. Maybe the results would be the same at such close distance. It just seems to me the 357 would be a little on the too small side for good size deer hunting. I imagine as I saw the impact, and the deer reaction...I imagine using a 357Mag would be sort of weak. The 44Mag sure is pretty powerful, but it seemed like the deer was stronger. Ballistic tables and water jugs are one thing. Actually seeing the impact and watching how the animal dies is another. The 357 is less powerful than the 44 Mag, and I am beginning to think maybe a handgun with even more power than a 44 Mag would be more appropriate. For me, certainly nothing less than a 44 mag. Or maybe abandon the idea of taking a deer entirely using a handgun. No doubt there sure can be some novelty in taking a good size deer with one. I might be better off with a shotgun when I visualize how I was not so impressed with the actual hit using the 44. It certainly didn't seem to be "knock down power". More of a severe wound depriving the poor beast the breath of life. I'm rambling now.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; November 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.03768 seconds with 8 queries