View Single Post
Old June 13, 2010, 04:45 AM   #16
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Akins
I don't think the flame and hot gases would be directed over the face of the cylinder Gator. Look carefully at the picture below. Notice how the area on the wooden disk where it fits over the forcing cone is chamfered/angled approx at a forward 45 degree angle to allow the forcing cone to completely fill that area of the disk? The hole in the disk is larger than the cylinder hole and is chamfered/angled outward to boot. That means any flame from that fired cylinder would go to the path of least resistance which would be not only through the forcing cone of the barrel, but any flame that wanted to "fan out" and go over the cylinder face would be stopped by the tightly fitting disk and also be inclined to be deflected forward because of the V shaped chamfered angle of the hole of the disk that goes over the forcing cone. Look closely at the pic. See how the chamfered hole in the disk for the top chamber is chamfered/angled outward at about 45 degrees and that same hole is larger than the cylinder hole which not only seals around the cylinder hole, but also via the chamfer directs the gases forward at a chamfered angle AWAY from the cylinder face and its other cylinders? See what I mean Gator?
Bill, please click on this TFL file photo link below that was posted by RK65 to see the tremendously powerful amount of hot blast and powder flash that emanates from the forcing cone area of an 1860 Colt at the time that it is fired. Because this is a daytime photo, only some of the flame is being seen and not all of the invisible hot gases.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1242067224

I really believe that it would be folly to think that the chambers adjacent to the one being fired off are going to be completely sealed off from that powerful blast of hot gases by a shield without any kind of jetting.
Even if there was only a fraction on an inch of gap, the gases are jetting out and would most likely be deflected into the adjacent chambers.
Since these same small gaps in the fit of percussion caps on the nipples have already been know to be able to cause chain fires from the rear, then why try to suppose that the front chambers can be sealed by a part that must allow the cylinder to move past it?
Plus the shield would need to fit and seal every individual gun equally well!

The danger of what will happen to the fully charged ball that was chain fired through the nipple end once it hits a plastic shield is a scary thought. How would you be able to test for what would happen during a chain fire coming from behind without intentionally setting off adjacent chambers that were covered by a shield and then seeing what happens next?
We all know what happens when it's not covered, the ball safely exits. But you would be creating a new more potentially hazardous situation with shards of plastic or lead next to your body that could become shrapnel from the shield failing to contain the ball and powder explosion in a safe manner.

IMO it hasn't been proved in theory or reality that a shield is a viable idea that's worthwhile pursuing. Even if the front chambers could be sealed which I really don't believe that they can be well enough, why would you want to try knowing that there could be a chain fire from behind?
Please don't ignore the fact that chain fires can start from both ends by loose fitting and missing caps due to recoil.

Lastly Bill, you should be aware of the tremendous amount of gas cutting that can occur from the hot gases produced during firing. Since steel can't withstand it indefinitely, what makes you believe that plastic could withstand it?

I respect that you want to continue developing the idea, but understand that you would need to try to intentionally make the shield fail by intentionally firing off adjacent chambers in order to thoroughly test it. If it was really a good idea, then you should be able to sell that idea to a company to develop and test it for you. But I don't think that any company would want the risk of developing it because of the liability of trying to alter the already successful time tested design of a Colt revolver. Why mess with an already successful design? I don't believe that there could be money made with the design and possibly there would be a lot of liability. We had a thread about all of the over powder wads that can be virtually made for free with a homemade punch and household materials.
So much for a "no fuss" chain fire shield.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411414

Last edited by arcticap; June 13, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.04093 seconds with 8 queries