View Single Post
Old January 8, 2009, 03:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

I understand.

I see a lot of shotguns at the gun shows/pawn shops that would fit that category / and the bigger the name, the easier they are to sell once you clean them up. I think its pretty hard to sell these off brand guns / Springfield or whatever ...

If you can do some simple gunsmithing and you're into woodworking - I'm seeing a lot of older pump and O/U's out there that are all beat up. I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a gun that has screw in chokes - but if you take a good solid gun like an 870 Wingmaster / Browning BPS pumps - or even an older Browning Citori lightning model field O/U - take them apart, fix anything that is worn or looks bad / then really spruce up the wood - they're all prettty easy to sell if you keep the pump guns around $ 400 / the O/U's around $1,000. The reason I would stay with the guns that already have the screw in chokes - is it makes a good gift for a kid or somebody - as a gun that can do anything ( hunting, a little skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc ). Package the gun with a few chokes / have an inventory of chokes - so the buyer can add a few more ... If you stay with one or two mfg's - you keep your spare parts and choke tubes to a minimum ...

Getting that shiny Browning stock look - is not easy at home / takes a few extra steps to polish the finish / lay a few deep coats of finish on the wood ... but there is a pretty good product sold by Brownells called Pro Custom Oil Gun Stock finish - its a Tung Oil and Urethane mix that dries really hard and builds up nice. It isn't something you can do at the kitchen table in a few minutes - its takes some time and effort / about 4 coats to really get it nice / 6 or 7 days total - but its worth the effort.

Page generated in 0.02539 seconds with 8 queries