Thread: Longevity....
View Single Post
Old April 17, 2001, 07:26 PM   #13
General Tso

Yep, CAS has been a great excuse for putting some great old guns to use. Next purchase for that will be an old mule ear double. Just have to stumble on to teh right one.

The carbine is pretty interesting. Found it at a local shop mixed in with a bunch of original Winchester 92's. It's a Spanish "El Tigre" chambered in .44-40. 22" barrel, 12 round capacity and a flip up ladder sights with a sliding door on the but for a cleaning kit, a saddle ring and sling swivels. Info has been scarce on them but from what I've gleaned they were made in the 20's or so and most went to Latin and South America where many saw use with paramilitary police departments. They were imported surplus into the US in the 50's and some will be seen with police stampings.

I've only seen 3 in the flesh including mine prices ran from $395 to $450 with mine being the cheapest and by far the nicest one of the 3! From talking to guys on the Net and on the SASS Wire they're not terribly common and have sold up in the $600's out in Cali although I don't think you'd get that for one around where I live.

They're very close to a Winchester 92 and quality is excellent (a lot better fit and finish than the Brazilian Rossi 92's, the compare favorably to teh Winchesters of teh era). The barrel is a bit heavier than the Winchester or Rossi and the configuration is a little unique (as described above). It's been a great shooter and something a bit different than the run of the mill Winchesters and various repro guns.

Now if only I could find a sport that'd give me an excuse to take out the Krag and the '03 Springfields I'd be set .

Page generated in 0.04739 seconds with 8 queries