Thread: Tips for skeet
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2012, 08:26 PM   #11
zippy13

I realized that you had it backwards; however, 1/3 to 1/2 away from the house (towards the center stake), IMHO, is too far for a new shooter. Newbies have a natural inclination to point the gun right at the window to insure a good view of the target. You mentioned, the hold point will "give a newbie time to react and not get behind the bird." It's been my experience, newbies (and many other Skeet shooters) start their swing already "behind the bird." It's the hold point that allows the shooter enough time to catch up, get ahead of the target and see the lead. Sorry if that makes me an ass.

With respect to the OP's reported problem, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have have sufficient information to make a call.

Edit:
Quote:
The OP is having trouble picking up the target due to poor peripheral vision. Assuming he is on line, moving his hold point out, giving him more time time to visually acquire the target makes sense, does it not????
If you assume all other things being equal (and the shooter is looking straight out over his rib) -- and, if it's a peripheral vision problem, holding further out will only cause a greater delay before he see his target. Think of the OP's problem as a curtain that extends out from in front of the low house window. If he moves his hold point out, the curtain extends. A style modification might help his problem.

Last edited by zippy13; June 3, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.02207 seconds with 8 queries