View Single Post
Old July 31, 2000, 11:09 PM   #5
Will Beararms

I will try to make this short and understandible but about 16 years ago, I was hunting on a Saturday evening before dusk. I was in a tree stand in heavy timber about 300 yards north of an old logging road that ran east and west. I heard something behind me and saw a Buck over my left shoulder at about 60 yards. He was heading due North through brush and timber. I scooted around the ladder stand with my feet hanging off (I'm left-handed.) I pulled the trigger only to hear a snap since I had not pulled the hammer back far enough on a old tempermental Marlin 336 .30-30. The Buck kept moving and I missed with the second shot.

The next afternoon, I sat on the same stand. No Buck. About 30 minutes before legal shooting hours were up. I got in my car and drove to the logging road where the deer had come from the day before. I had the car facing East and laid the rifle on the roof of the car. I looked down the road towards the west--------nothing. I turned around to look towards the East and THERE WAS THE SAME BUCK APPROACHING THE ROAD'S EDGE PREPARING TO CROSS. I creeped over to the roof of the car and took a shot from 40 yards standing in the middle of the road with no rest. I hit the buck IN THE EYE with the old Marlin .30-30 and el cheapo Tasco 4X and the rest is history.

Would I ever take a shot like that again? Not for all of the tea in China!

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Page generated in 0.02504 seconds with 8 queries