View Single Post
Old June 18, 2011, 12:08 AM   #39
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Many reloaders have a rule, "When working with a powder, that is the ONLY powder." Some go as far as to have all other containers of ANY powder kept in another room and have only that one on the loading bench. Also, they never keep powder in the powder measure after a loading session is done, or interrupted for a long time. That practically eliminates all potential for mixing a powder. At the same time, if a powder is suspected of having been contaminated, it would not even go in a separate jar, but be disposed of as quickly as practical.
I'm one of those, "One type at a time" guys.

The "closet" of my reloading room is my powder and primer storage area. One type of primers and one type of powder on the bench at a time, period. Anything else is on its shelf in the storage area. If anything is suspected of being contaminated, it is immediately dumped into an old powder container marked "scrap", in a very obvious manner (all original markings are obliterated, and it absolutely cannot be confused with any other powder).

When the "scrap" jug is full, it is disposed of (controlled burn, fertilizer, whatever I feel like), and another empty takes its place. (I get a lot of other people's reloads, so I have almost 5 lbs of "scrap" on hand, right now. )

...But powder left over in a bowl, powder measure, or anything else, gets returned to its original container, after my loading session. The rough ride to my hunting and/or shooting grounds will do more damage to the powder, than any "contamination" from my loading process.

Page generated in 0.04258 seconds with 8 queries