View Single Post
Old December 8, 2011, 10:39 AM   #16
serf 'rett

A time line is needed before we could logically comment on the situation and actions taken.

Here in our great state, for example, I can defend myself if I’m in my car and a hoodie decides to car jack me in such a fashion that I fear said hoodie is going to cause me bodily harm; however, if I’m cleaning my windshield at the local gas station and the same hoodie jumps in my car, with the intent of driving off, woe unto me if I send rounds toward him. Our state law, as I understand it, prohibits me from protecting my property (specifically, my car) with lethal force. Your state law will vary. I think I’m still allowed to attempt to physically remove said hoodie from the car.

Another example comes to mind from a few years ago. A couple of counties over for me, a guy had some high dollar equipment stolen from his vehicle, while it was in his carport. He suspected the local dope head was the thief. He replaced the equipment and kept a good weather eye out on his stuff. Short story is he heard some noise one night, peeked out to see doper at work, whereupon the owner slipped out the backdoor with an aluminum baseball bat, rounded the house and whacked doper enough to put him down. Not the six feet under kind of down, just down enough for the local law to arrive and take over. Anyone want to guess who went to prison? Last I heard of the case, the righteous owner had been hit with two or three times more prison time than the doper.

I'm glad no one was hurt, but regret the lady lost her purse as this can be very serious – home address leading to a future visit, identity theft, banking account and credit card information, etc.

Last edited by serf 'rett; December 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.03158 seconds with 8 queries