View Single Post
Old April 24, 2000, 06:06 PM   #3
Paul B.

Dzeanah. Look's like Longduck did a pretty thorough job of advising you. There isn't too much more I can add. I would suggest getting a few other reloading manuals as well as the Lyman. One of the others just may present something in a manner you find more understandable.
Learning to reload is relatively easy. Learning to reload "smart" is not.
There used to be a book available called PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF LOADING AMMUNITION by Earl Naramore. It's been long out of print, and if you can find a decent copy on the used book market, you can expect to pay about $100 for it. (My copy cost $99.95 plus shipping and handling, so I'm sure of the price) A lot of the information is outdated now, but when I read it (library copy) years ago, I was impressed by what the author had to say. I've always felt that anyone who took up reloading should read it, even if it does get quite dull in places.
Longduck stated that everybody sooner or later goes to a progressive press. In 40 plus years of reloading, I haven't yet, but I'm thinking about it.
I don't feel they are necessary for your rifle cartridges. If you have not yet accumulated several thousand cases for your .45 and .38 brass, you really don't need a progressive for those either. It's kind of a"you have to learn to walk before you can run", type of thing. Use a single stage press, and learn the basics thoroughly.
I just finished up loading my supply of .45 ACP for the year. 2500 rounds on a Rockchucker. Course, I'm retired and have all the time in the world. Now I start on the .38's, then the .357's, .44's (Spl. and Mag.) I've only got about 7500 to go. Now you see why I'm thinking about a progressive. They'll be ready to reload again about this time next year.
For the handgun rounds, I STRONGLY suggest getting carbide sizing dies. Go the regular dies and you'll spend more time cleaning sizing lubricant off your brass than shooting. A real pain.
RCBS makes pretty good reloading equipment. I have two Rockchuckers. (Got one in a package deal at a swap meet with a bunch of other stuff) The one I use is better than 30 years old and still going strong. The other is being stored, just in case. I figure my great-grand kids will be using that one, long after I'm gone.
Midway seems to have rerasonable prices. I've gotten a lot of stuff from Huntington's, but they are a tad expensive.
Anyway, good luck on your reloading, no matter which way you go. If you run into problem, holler.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited April 24, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02554 seconds with 8 queries