View Single Post
Old November 17, 1999, 09:22 PM   #8
Will Beararms

Dave:

I believe I read from another post that you have been hunting and shooting since 1956 so without question, you have already forgotten more than I will ever know. That having been said, let me quickly relate a personal experience to you.

I have always sworn by the 30-06 prior to this year after 28 years of hunting Whitetail in Southeast AR. I still think it is the best all-around cartridge available today. I have never lost a deer with one but I have had the problem of Deer running up to 100 yards when shot at ranges of less than 100 yards. In the thickets we hunt, 100 yards may mean a lost animal.

My older brother has always laughed at me as he took his budget grade Marlin w/a cheapo 4X and knocked deer down at ranges of 40 to 80 yards. I have always questioned the effectiveness of a 4X at distances around the 30 to 35 yard mark. The next time you visit your favorite gun shop (not a meglamart), pick up a 4X and look at the wall across from you then walk over to the window and look across the street. I will bet tonight's supper that you will be able to focus on the wall blurry as it may be and then quickly transition to the longer ranges across the street. The point I am making is that in my case, a 4X with those very close shots will actually help you to seperate the deer from the brush for better shot placement. Additionally, you have the option of mounting the low power optic of your choice (2X-4X)in the same manner as is typically done on a scout rifle. Above all, if you go with a scope,stay with a fixed power. The variables are worthless in the type of terrain you and I hunt in. The time taken to adjust the power setting may be all the time you have to get off a well placed shot.

Certainly, I am not gunsmith and you have received some excellent advice on various accurizing methods. Nevertheless, I would not write off a red dot sight system or low power scope before trying a rifle outfitted in such a manner that might be accessed from a friend or from a full service gun range. Feel free to flame me if you feel I'm out of line and good luck with a must have rifle for every complete weapons collection.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Page generated in 0.02240 seconds with 8 queries