Thread: BP for HD?
View Single Post
Old November 3, 2009, 06:21 PM   #32
brian45auto

Quote:
As for drop tests, load up all six chambers of a cap-and-ball revolver and set the hammer on the catch between chambers. Then go drop your gun, hammer first, on concrete. Bet it doesn't go "BOOM" 100 out of 100. Better yet, load five chambers and set the hammer on the nipple of the unloaded chamber and do the same "drop test". Bet it doesn't go "BOOM" 110 out of 100!
right. but what about that capped cylinder hanging out in the breeze there?
can you guarantee that nothing hard will ever come in contact with it....ever?
an 1860 is tucked in there a bit better than 1858, but still.
if it's all you have, well then it is indeed better than nothing. but if it's nothing more than a range toy why play with fire when it comes to protecting those you care about?

and the cloud of smoke, what happens if you employ that tactic of flash bang, and the goblin starts poking and hoping with his 9mm that carries 15 or 16 rds?
i mean seriously if you need to pull the trigger, game time has passed. when you squeeze it's stop the threat time.

if you feel comfortable with using one for hd, that's one thing, but encouraging somebody else to do the same, that may or may not be as familiar with the gun is foolishness.
in one of the posts on the first page the OP is asking if it's ok to load 6 and keep the hammer down on one or at half cock. so right there he is not totally familiar with the safe handling of them.

i'm sorry but home defense is no joke. maybe you never need to do it. but if only ever even once you need to strike in anger, why would you rely on a weapon that stacks the odds against you before you even start.
i would think taking steps to stack in your favor would rank pretty high on the list. starting off with a six gun, that is most safely stored with only five cylinders live, is not starting on the right foot.

Last edited by brian45auto; November 3, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.02284 seconds with 8 queries