View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4
evan1293

I've spent a good deal of time training in low light. Ive also done a good bit of force on force in the dark as well. Heres my thought: In just about any house there is a good amount of ambient light. Electronic devices (clocks, vcr lights, lights from the street etc..) all add some light to a night time living environment. Additionally, your eyes have a great, natural night vision ability after being adjusted to the dark for some time. If you've been asleep for several hours and your awakened by a "bump in the night" your night vision ability will be very good. The bad guy breaking in will not share in that ability to that extent. Hes coming in off the streets (seeing car lights, street lights, and even possibly having just used a flash light to gain access to your home.) Your ability to see in the dark better than the adversary is an advantage you want to exploit. That advantage is lost if you start introducing lights and lasers to the equation. Your best bet would be to know your house. Know where the shadows are, know where the best cover / concealment is. Know where you can and cannot shoot, etc... Then if a home invasion situation should arise, make use of this knowlege. If you use your light, your night vision is largely gone. If you use a laser, your position is compromised to some extent. If you can just run your gun without any addtional light source, thats the best option. Also keep in mind that if there was a break in, your heart is going to be beating out of your chest. Any extra gear that you have to manipulate (lights and lasers) are going to add difficulty to an already stressful situation.

Try this exercise: Set your alarm for 3:30am some saturday morning. Without using any additional lights, try moving through your house and observe what you can and cant see. For myself, in my house, I could easily see if there was somebody there who shouldn't be and could identify whether or not he/she had a weapon. The ambient light coupled with my "night eyes" makes it possible to see what I need to see.

As far as not using your sights: Unless Im shooting from a retention position below my line of sight, I ALWAYS see my front sight. Its just as fast as point shooting. I've proven this to classes time and time and time again. Im a relatively new convert to XS big dot sights. I've found these to be the absolute best, tactical shooting sights on the market. These have worked extremely well for me in all lighting conditions.

Page generated in 0.04012 seconds with 8 queries